Lymphoma is on the rise and continues to affect millions of people on a daily basis. The number of Lymphoma cases in India is expected to rise by 1.54 million by 2024. While there are numerous methods and treatment options for potential cancer patients, Precision Medicine is one of the popular methods that has been trending in the medical field.
Let us learn about Precision Medicine and how to get it in the United States in this blog.
What is Precision Medicine?
Precision medicine, also known as personalised medicine, is a novel approach to medical treatment and healthcare that tailors medical decisions, practices, interventions, and drug therapies to individual patients based on genetic, lifestyle, and environmental factors. It represents a shift away from the traditional one-size-fits-all model of care and toward a more precise and individualised model of care.
Precision Medicine’s Key Elements:
Genomics: The study of an individual’s genetic information is one of the foundational pillars of precision medicine. This includes DNA sequencing to identify specific genetic variations and mutations. Genomic advances have enabled researchers to identify genetic factors that influence a person’s susceptibility to certain diseases and response to treatments.
Data Integration: Precision medicine is based on the integration of massive amounts of data from various sources, such as genetic data, medical records, lifestyle information, and environmental factors. To analyse this data and extract actionable insights, advanced data analytics and computational tools are used.
Personalised Treatment Plans: Using a patient’s genetic and clinical data, healthcare providers can create personalised treatment plans that are tailored to the individual’s specific characteristics. Selecting the most effective medications, therapies, and interventions while minimising potential side effects is one example.
How Precision Medicine Can Help Treat Lymphoma?
Lymphoma is a complex disease, and precision medicine enables personalised approaches to diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. Here’s a more in-depth explanation of how precision medicine is used to treat lymphoma:
Correct Diagnosis & Subtyping:
- Genetic Profiling: Precision medicine begins with a comprehensive genetic profiling of the lymphoma tissue. This includes identifying specific genetic mutations and alterations that are specific to the patient’s cancer cells.
- Sub-type: Lymphomas are classified into subtypes, such as Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and are further classified based on genetic and molecular characteristics. Treatment strategies are dictated by subtyping.
2. Personalised Therapies:
- Identifying Key Mutations: Precision medicine aids in the identification of specific genetic mutations that drive lymphoma cell growth. The B-cell receptor pathway, for example, is frequently altered in certain types of lymphoma.
- Targeted Therapies: After identifying key mutations, targeted therapies can be used. These medications are intended to inhibit or block the specific molecular pathways that promote cancer growth. Rituximab, for example, targets CD20-positive B-cells.
- Monoclonal antibodies: such as rituximab and brentuximab vedotin, are used to target specific markers on cancer cells, sparing healthy cells and reducing side effects.
- Checkpoint Inhibitors: Checkpoint inhibitors such as pembrolizumab and nivolumab are used to treat some lymphomas. These medications improve the immune system’s ability to identify and attack cancer cells.
- CAR T- Cell: Chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy involves reprogramming a patient’s immune cells to specifically target lymphoma cells. It has proven to be extremely effective in treating certain types of lymphoma, including large B-cell lymphoma.
Treatment Response Prediction:
- Chemotherapy Resistance: Using precision medicine, genetic markers associated with resistance to traditional chemotherapy drugs can be identified. This aids in the selection of alternative treatments from the start
- MRD Testing: MRD testing involves tracking tiny amounts of cancer cells that may remain in the body even after successful treatment. Precision medicine aids in determining the most appropriate intervals and methods for MRD testing in order to assess treatment efficacy.
5.Individualised Treatment Plans:
- Combination Therapies: Precision medicine enables oncologists to develop personalised combination therapy plans for patients based on their lymphoma subtype and genetic profile.
- Adjustment over-time: As lymphoma cells mutate and become resistant to treatments, precision medicine allows doctors to make real-time changes to treatment plans.
6. Long-Term Care and Prognosis:
- Risk Stratification: Genetic information aids in risk stratification, allowing for more accurate prognosis predictions. Some lymphomas are known to progress slowly, while others are more aggressive.
- Survivorship Care: Precision medicine assists lymphoma survivors in developing personalised survivorship care plans that take into account long-term health risks based on genetic and treatment-related factors.Clinical Trials: Precision medicine has increased access to clinical trials that investigate novel targeted therapies and immunotherapies tailored to lymphoma subtypes.
Why Precision medicine the best in the United States?
Precision medicine has grown in popularity in the United States as a result of its advanced healthcare infrastructure, cutting-edge research, and access to a diverse set of genetic and clinical data. Here’s how the United States leads in precision medicine, and how a service like MediPocket USA helps lymphoma patients get the best precision medicine:
Research and Development:
The United States is home to world-class research institutions, universities, and medical centres that are at the forefront of genomics and cancer research. This environment encourages creativity and the development of targeted therapies for lymphoma and other cancers.
2. Detailed Genetic Profiling:
Healthcare facilities in the United States frequently have access to cutting-edge genetic sequencing technologies, allowing for comprehensive genetic profiling of lymphoma tumors. This allows for the identification of specific mutations and alterations that can be used to guide treatment decisions.
Clinical Trial Access:
Numerous clinical trials for precision medicine in lymphoma treatment are being conducted in the United States. Patients benefit from early access to cutting-edge therapies and experimental treatments, which are often available before they are available elsewhere.
Care that is multidisciplinary:
Precision medicine in lymphoma necessitates the collaboration of haematologists, oncologists, geneticists, and pathologists. The American healthcare system encourages collaboration among these experts in order to tailor treatment plans.
5. Regulatory Structure:
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States has established a regulatory framework for the approval of precision medicine therapies. This ensures that new treatments meet stringent safety and efficacy standards before they are made available to patients.
Targeted Therapy Access:
Precision medicine gives lymphoma patients access to targeted therapies that target the genetic drivers of their disease. These therapies have the potential to be more effective and less toxic than conventional treatments.
How MediPocket USA helps Lymphoma patients get the best Precision treatments from the United States?
- Expert Advice: MediPocket USA connects international patients with top-tier cancer centres and specialists in the United States. Their knowledgeable staff assists lymphoma patients in navigating the complex American healthcare system.
- Access to Leading Facilities: MediPocket USA works with renowned cancer treatment centres in the United States to provide patients with cutting-edge precision medicine options.
- Personalised Care: The service provides personalised care plans based on the unique lymphoma subtype and genetic profile of each patient. This ensures that treatment decisions adhere to precision medicine principles.
- Clinical Trial Access: MediPocket USA assists eligible patients in researching and enrolling in clinical trials for novel lymphoma treatments.
In conclusion, precision medicine is at the forefront of lymphoma treatment in the United States, providing patients with access to the most recent therapies and research advances. MediPocket USA helps international lymphoma patients navigate the U.S. healthcare system and connect them with the best precision medicine options available in the country. This all-encompassing approach allows patients to make informed decisions and receive personalized care, increasing their chances of successful treatment and recovery.